Friday, January 1, 2010

Project 365

For the sake of starting fresh this new year and decade, I'm going to borrow a page from something I read about last year: Project 365. It is a movement inspired by a Jamie Livingston's life project called "Photo of the Day."

But, since I have always been an advocate of multimedia convergence journalism, therefor I am going to to put my own twist on it. So today -- January 1, 2010 -- will be day one of what I will call The Chronicle Project. I always have either a phone, camera, or recorder with me; I am investing in webspace to build my own website; and I think the idea of only taking a picture per day is a little too simplistic (though I don't mean to belittle the amazing work that Livingston did).


So here's the plan: I will post either a picture, a video, an audio recording, or some other form of multimedia per day for an entire year. Each will include at least a caption, but some might include a story too (in the case that I find a reporting job).
  • Sometimes it won't be posted right away (like if I'm on the road).
  • Sometimes it will only be a photo with a caption.
  • Occasionally I may ramble on if something big happens.
But the gist of it is, I want to apply myself daily in a way that would allow me to create a chronicle of my life through this -- arguably the most important year of my life to date. So I start today with this picture of my family's Christmas Tree...


Day 1 - In the beginning of the year 2000, my family moved to Harlingen, Texas -- the city I was born in. It was a 14 hour drive from where I had used to live. There's not a lot to do there, and so on break like this when I visit my family it's always kind of a culture calm. I visit old friends, family, and occasionally places in an attempt to reminisce; this includes stories around the tree. This year, my younger brothers were out of town, my parents now live in Washington D.C., and Christmas morning was a very brief event. Soon, I intend to move out of Texas and it might mean a lack of chances to visit during the holidays. So, in order to someday remember what it was like to have a family Christmas tree, I wanted to take this photo before they took it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment