Thursday, February 12, 2009

"I found a letter that said, "I'm sorry that...

...You were asleep when I wrote these words down."
You'd think I'd ought to be used to that by now.
Save for a few of those late night episodes,
Missed opportunities, and "I Don't Cares,"
There's not a lot that I feel obliged to share or talk about...

You're the echoes of my everything,
You're the emptiness the whole world sings at night.
You're the laziness of afternoon,
You're the reasons why I burst and why I bloom.
You're the leaky sink of sentiment,
You're the failed attempts I never could forget.
You're the metaphors I can't create
To comprehend this curse that I call 'love'.
How will I break the news to you?..."


- Motion City Soundtrack
"Hold Me Down"


Great song to fall asleep to. A lot of their stuff is. The opening and closing lines of this song were set as my Facebook and Twitter statuses (respectively), which apparently worried a few people. One person in particular told me they worry about vague statements like that because they care.

It made me smile.

I love this song particularly because the line regarding not being able to create metaphors is prefaced so beautifully by a handful of metaphors that could be taken both lovingly and in spite. A good deal of the song is spent sounding like a bitter breakup...but I think it's much different.

Perhaps holding someone down doesn't mean "you're keeping me from reaching my full potential," but rather that "you are the one thing keeping me grounded and sane in the world." Sometimes we drift so far from our lives, and aspire too much to touch stars that we often overlook those things we hold dearest on plain ground.

Some people go mad trying to attain that which they cannot hope to reach. Others, however, have in them the capacity to play anchor to us, and keep us from getting in over our head. They protect us from ourselves and the dreams we conjure up.

Only after the anchor themselves starts to break down, do we realize how much we relied on that person. In the case of the song, it works in both ways...you're holding me back, but you're keeping me sane...



...I love you, however, you hold me down. How will I break the news to you?

Makes me melt every time. If you're not familiar with them, I suggest you start. I've been listening since about 2002, and Motion City Soundtrack and Gym Class Heroes are the only two bands I have ever convinced my good friend Sarah to listen to since we started high school...and she's damn picky about music!

At any rate, while most of the songs have some deeper more personal meaning to me, you shouldn't generally concern yourselves with that. If I wanted to express it, I would have already. You can safely presume that (since I haven't) I don't want anyone to know what they mean other than the very basic.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some important bass guitar-ing to attend to...



Over and out,

David



ps. Follow me on twitter, damnit! http://twitter.com/davidlucio

1 comment: